A CONFEDERATE CEMETERY was created on land donated by
James Madison Griffin, owner of the
In 1872 some twenty bodies on Confederates were buried within
the stone walls of this property. The Scotch granite monument
was manufactured at the marble works of T. Joyce, Louisville.
Annual celebrations of both Union and Confederate soldiers were
held there until 1911. In the 1940s a concrete base was made to
protect the granite marker. In 1988 on the 125th Anniversary of
the battle, a Michigan Highway Marker paid for by the
Holland-Zeeland Civil War Roundtable, commemorated the Michigan
regiment's stand here.